Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day and though you may already know my feelings about it there is still one more person you should show some love to every day as well… YOU. Loving oneself, I think, is one of the more challenging things for people to do. We know ourselves so well that we know all of our flaws just as well. We criticize and punish ourselves more than anyone would to us. We are our own worst critic. But if we can be our own worst critic, then that means we have the capability to be our best critic, too.
If instead of bashing our “flaws”, what if instead, we hyped them up? And if instead of harming ourselves whether it be mentally or physically, what if instead we treat ourselves? I have thought of ten things you can do either on your own or with others for a treat yourself day. And these are just suggestions, too. You can do whatever you want to do on a treat yourself day because it is for you.
1. DIY Face mask – Facemasks are wonderful and can leave your skin feeling refreshed. I have gone online to find a facemask that I have tried that I thought I’d share with you. I did my face mask knowing I wasn’t going anywhere. It’s a good thing, too, because my face was red after I removed the mask. It didn’t hurt or burn (which is surprising considering how sensitive my skin is) and it wasn’t red for very much longer. The ingredients can be found in a store or online and aren’t terribly expensive.
For one facemask, you will need:
2 teaspoons bentonite clay
2 tsp of apple cider vinegar
A few drops of essential oil* (I used tea tree essential oil)
In a bowl mix the ingredients (using a metal bowl or spoon could cause a reaction that won’t allow the mask to work as effectively). Apply the mask and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Lastly, remove the mask with warm water and a damp cloth.
*Not necessary, just my preference
And you don’t even have to limit this one to just the facemask. Make it a DIY spa day with a bubble bath, manicure, pedicure, and whatever else relaxes you.
2. Watch a movie – What is better than just chilling and watching a movie? Well a lot of things, but for some people, this floats their boat. And if you have the urge to do so, make it a movie marathon. After all, Harry Potter is always better when you watch it all the way through. It’s also a perfect time to do a face mask!
3. Color – Those adult coloring books are great for some people but as for me, they’re super stressful because some of those spaces are just so hard to color nicely. I prefer coloring books meant for small children. Either way, coloring has been proven to relieve stress and relax you. Whatever you like to color, as long as it’s meant to be colored, go nuts and enjoy.
4. Go for a walk – Treating yourself doesn’t have to be extravagant or even cost money. Simply going for a walk and enjoying the scenery has so many health benefits it’s ridiculous. Fresh air, sunshine, and exercise are all very attainable just by going for a walk. My personal favorites include nature trails and the beach, but a sidewalk does just as well.
4. Make yourself a nice warm drink – This is more of a cold treat yourself day but nothing beats hot chocolate by a fire on a summer evening (which is also a really cute date idea… 😉 I’m single boys) but something so simple can hit the spot and is always a wonderful treat.
5. Buy that thing you’ve been eyeing – For me, it would be those stupid squishy things. They are so useless and cute, but I want one really badly. So, I got one. It made my day. Sometimes getting the stupid useless thing (or even a nice useful thing) will make your day and hopefully make you smile every time you use it or look at it.
6. Make cookies – Nothing brings me back to my childhood like baking cookies. Gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies, and my favorite, chocolate chip. Cookies, I think, are fun and relaxing to make and a wonderful pick-me-up-treat when they’re finished. Just be careful of the amount of raw dough you eat while making them (don’t lie, we all do it).
7. Read – I know this is not everyone’s forte but, for many like me, it’s perfect. I don’t read as often as I like but when I do it’s a wonderful escape, whatever the genre may be. If you want to find a place to start, I’m currently reading Body Positive Power by Megan Jayne Crabbe. I’ve talked about her before in previous posts and I have finally gotten around to reading her book and I must say it is going on my favorite books list.
8. Write – Writing can do wonders for yourself. It can get things off your chest that you may not have realized or have been able to put into words. Write a letter to someone you haven’t talked to in a while or someone you talked to yesterday. You also don’t need to send the letter, either (but be smarter than Lara Jean and don’t address the envelope if this is the case). It can be just a venting session or a hello. Whatever you want to write, just go for it.
9. Dance – Exercise? Check. Fun? Check. Stupid? You betchya. You see it in films and tv shows. You sometimes do it in the shower, unless you’re Justin Russo. There is no doubt that dancing makes you feel good and I’m sure there is science somewhere to back up that statement. So turn up the music and go wild. And if you’re looking for some music inspiration I have a playlist perfect for a dance break.
These are just a few of many ideas and I am sure the internet has plenty more than I could ever have thought of on my own. These are simple and, for the most part, pretty inexpensive. If I could have it my way, I’d make every day treat yourself day… but that defeats the purpose. Whether you are looking for a pick me up or just want to treat yourself, I hope you have some new inspiration. And this Valentine’s Day, no matter your relationship status, I hope you remember that you deserve to be loved by you. And if there was one thing that I want you to take away from this post, I want it to be this quote:
“Stop hating yourself for everything you aren’t. Start loving yourself for everything that you are.” -Unknown
Feel free to comment below what you like to do to treat yourself. I just may try a few myself!
This post does contain some affiliate links. You can read more on my “About Me” page.